Tuesday, June 24, 2008

In Memorium


George Carlin 1937-2008.
I feel a bit of sadness today that I've not felt in quite some time due to the death of George Carlin. George is a comedian the world had never seen before and one that the world will never see again. He not only made you laugh, but he also made you think. Whether the issue was God, drugs, dirty words, or crime, George Carlin always made you laugh in one way or another while examining your own thoughts on the subject at the same time. While the "7 dirty words" was his most popular bit, I preferred his commentary on religion and crime. George always made you look at an issue his way by pointing out the absurdity of it and most times whether you agreed with it or not, you at least saw his point of view by laughing thru it.

George wasn't a big fan of the church or a big fan of government and I agreed on quite a bit of it with him. His views on God and Religion were outlandish to many when he first started introducing them. Many folks couldn't believe that someone not only felt this way, but would openly joke about it in front of an audience. This was one of the things I liked most about Carlin, that nothing was off limits and he never held anything back, and I've got to think that God is getting an earful now about the church and religion from George. I was surprised he died from heart failure since I often wondered if it had quit working long ago.

For one last time, here are the seven dirty words
Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker, Tits

Here are a few of my favorite bits/jokes from Carlin

"Why is Prostitution illegal in this country? Selling is legal, fucking is legal, so why isn't selling fucking legal?"

"You don't think you can joke about rape. Imagine Porkey Pig raping Daffy Duck"

""I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. "
Rest in Peace George Carlin and don't give God such a hard time. I miss you dearly and miss the laughs already. Thank you George Carlin.

No comments: