Saturday, February 28, 2009

Montreal Canadiens 100 years 100 stars

Since I was a young boy, I've been a fan of one hockey team throughout the years: The bleu blanc rouge of the Montreal Canadiens. I was the original bandwagon jumper. I read books about the incredible history of the team and the incredible run of the 1970's. I watched with delight each time the team hoisted the cup over their heads and watched a young Patrick Roy stand on his head in 1986 as a young rookie and as a grizzled vet in 1993 against the Gretzky led Kings in the Stanley Cup finals, then watched in horror during a game against the Detroit Red Wings in 1995 when he informed Ronald Corey (then Canadiens Team President) that he'd played his last game for the Canadiens. I've watched countless videos of Howie Morenz, Maurice Richard, Guy Lafleur, Ken Dryden, Jean Beliveau, Jacques Plante, and Georges Vezina on their monumental Stanley Cup runs. I came across a video online the other day of the CBC's 100 Years 100 Stars special on the Montreal Canadiens and by watching it became a kid again.

The special is very good and covers the Habs extensively thru the eyes of actors, musicians, artists, fans, sportcasters, and yes, even that venerable old bastard Don Cherry. It begins with the creation of the Montreal Canadiens, covers the suspension of Maurice Richard, and each decade of the centennial, and there's even a special segment on my favorite player of all time: St. Patrick Roy.

Regardless of whether you are a fan of the Canadiens or not, this is a fantastic documentary and should be watched by anyone who is a hockey fan.


Please Digg me if you enjoy something I've written.

No comments: