Thursday, February 5, 2009

DTV Transition moved back to June


Since I work in engineering at a local tv station, this is something I've been watching rather closely.  The house yesterday moved the deadline to June and created a big dilemma for US Broadcasters.  Should we leave the analog signal on and reap the benefits of having both signals for two ratings periods (March and May) or go ahead and cut the cord and lose out on four months of extra revenue?  It's a dilemma for people far above me to decide thankfully.  It appears that as many as 6 million Americans still aren't even close to being ready for the digital switchover even though the deadline has been in place for quite a long time.  I really wish that Congress had stuck to the original deadline because Americans would have been without tv for a few days, bitched about it, then went out and got their converter boxes and remedied the situation.    I can see both sides of the issue though.  I've been ready for the digital switchover since 2004 because there's nothing better than HDTV as far as I'm concerned.  

Please Digg me if you enjoy something I've written.

No comments: