Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day from a Girl's Point of View

I'm great with the idea of a special day set aside for love and hearts.  I'm not 100% sure why it's set in the middle of February, but I'm sure there's a reason.   However, I think anniversaries should be reserved for these "special" days.  Not a random day, chosen by The Man because sales are low this time of year. I mean, how did they manage that?!  I work in the construction industry.  I wish they would designate "new construction" as sexy and practically mandatory for you to buy your sweetheart so we wouldn't be facing lay-offs!

But I digress.  I recall a show several years ago where there were two sisters, close in age. The older sister was popular and the younger sister was more "artistic" and mopey.  It was Valentine's Day and the older sister was tallying up her gifts and the younger sister had told her boyfriend it was a stupid holiday and not to do anything special.  Well, as the day went on, she was getting quite resentful about him ignoring the holiday, even tho it was exactly what she said she wanted!!  

Obviously, I'm like the younger sister.  And ever since I saw that show, I've wondered, "If I tell him not to get me anything, am I going to feel left out if I don't get anything?"  So far, I never have.  But the worry is always in the back of my mind.  I love the extra hugs and the "Happy Valentine's Day" wishes.  I love looking around and seeing all the bright hearts and teddy bears and the red in the midst of all this "blah" weather.  But one of the saddest sights in the world is to go to Kroger at 5pm on Valentine's day and watch the scramble.  Men -old enough to know better!- filling their carts with flowers and balloons and candy and stuffed animals and looking for an appropriate card.  And why?  Out of love?  No, they're doing it out of fear.  And, to me, that is NOT worth celebrating.

No comments: