Monday, July 21, 2008

My political beliefs

I've been sent a few emails asking my political beliefs. Well without further adieu, here they are. If I left out any issues, feel free to email them to me and I'll be glad to cover them. One thing you'll find in common with a lot of my beliefs is that I feel that the United States Government has overstepped it's boundaries on it's citizens on many occasions. I feel that the government's primary role is to govern, not control it's citizens through silly laws and spy on them with the latest technology. The US Government of today is much like some of it citizens, overweight, bloated, and lazy. I am much in favor of a smaller leaner government with more control returned to the states.

On the War in Iraq
Mr. Bush got us into this mess and it's up to Congress to get us out. Much like the rest of America (and Congress for that matter) I was hoodwinked by Dubya into believing that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. It's time for us to leave Iraq and move those troops into Afghanistan to fight the real people behind 9-11. I support the men and women in the United States Military unconditionally, but it's time for us to leave Iraq. This war was a sham on the American people from the beginning and it's time for the sham to stop and it's high time that Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeldt, Rice, Colin Powell, and everyone else from this corrupt administration were put up for court martial for lying to the American people.


Gas Prices

I fully believe that Congress could put a clamp on the high price of gas in this country if the gas and oil corporations weren't putting money back in the pockets of Represenatives and Senators. It's high time that we got a list of political contributions from these gas and oil companies and throw every single sorry motherfucker out who is accepting contributions from the gas and oil corporations. It's hard to stop someone who's putting money in your pockets.

The War on Terror
The war on terror in this country has now become a war on every single citizen. Since the tragedy of 9-11 happened, a majority of Americans have been more than happy to bend over for Congress and the President to fuck them in their asses. We've lost more freedoms thanks to the Patriot Act than at any time in the history of our country. I find it appalling that the Patriot Act was bullied on the American people in the name of "the war on terror". To Quote Michael Franti and Spearhead, "The War on Terror is a war on peace."

On Abortion
To me it's not the government's right to tell anyone over the age of 18 what they can do with their body. What business does the government have telling a woman what to do with her body? Plus, I feel that as a man, the only time I should worry about abortion or concern myself with it is if I suddenly have the ability to get pregnant.

On Gun Control

Again, it's not the government's business to tell someone whether they can own a firearm or not. It's a right guaranteed with NO restrictions in the Second Amendment. I do agree with convicted felons not being able to own firearms. I don't understand why anyone short of the US Military needs assault rifles, but that's just me. I don't even think Police Officers need assault weapons. I think Gun control should be toned down in this country and I am for less restrictions within reason.

On the Legalization of Marijuana and Moonshine

I firmly believe that if the government were to figure out some way to tax the everloving shit out of marijuana and moonshine the same way they tax tobacco and alcohol, then both would be legalized. Marijuana is no more dangerous than alcohol and is more of a nuisance than anything else. Think of how many people are in jails right now for doing nothing more than smoking weed and brewing up homemade shine. Think of how much time local police officers waste pursuing people peddling weed and shine instead of focusing on real crime. I support the legalization of marijuana and feel that it should operate much in the same way alcohol does. No one under 21 should be allowed to use and if caught driving while under the influence of marijuana, there should be the same penalties used in DUI cases.

I'll continue tomorrow with my views on more issues. I just wanted to break it up into two posts so it wouldn't be as long of a read.

No comments: