Sunday, May 25, 2008

Libertarian Convention

The Libertarian Convention wraps up today in Denver and it looks as though Bob Barr is the frontrunner and may very well win. I'm an avowed Libertarian and will vote for whomever is picked at the convention. For the last few elections it's been about voting for the lesser of two evils and I just don't want to do that anymore. I don't like Clinton, Obama, or McCain and I like their pandering to their own special interest groups even less. Does Barr stand a chance in hell? Nope, but at least I know I'm voting my conscience instead of voting against someone. I'd much rather vote for a party which matches my beliefs as opposed to being part of the popularity contest.

For the record, I don't think there's any lesser of two evils in McCain or Obama, as I detest both of them equally. I was holding out hope that Ron Paul would run as an independent, since that's who I voted for in the primary, but that's not going to happen. My best wishes would be that Barr or some other Independant candidate throws a monkey wrench into the election results so we see a repeat of Florida in 2000. I love when our perfect little politcal system grinds to a halt and we have to rely on unpaid volunteers looking at hanging chads to determine our president. It's a delightful proposition to me. As I've said many times on this blog, I detest the ideas of both the republican and democratic parties. They both seem to think they have great ideas on paper, but in reality, it is the fault of both parties that this country is in the fucking mess that it is in. Both parties pander to lobbyists and to their own special interest groups and get little to nothing done for us little people. People like to blame Bush, but it's as much the Democrat's fault as it is the Republicans.

I love to hear young Democrats talk about how Obama is gonna revolutionize this country. Obama isn't going to do shit and he's not going to revolutionize anything other than being the first African American in the White House. Face it folks, this two party system isn't working in our government anymore and things are as bad in America now as they've been in ages. Before I get nasty emails from Obama and McCain supporters, remember I'm an avowed Libertarian and will speak my mind based on my beliefs, not the beliefs of some silly participant in a popularity contest. Maybe it would be better in this country if we made the presidential elections a popularity contest. I could see the signs now. Vote for Obama, he's HOT!!! Vote for McCain, he fought in Vietnam. It's like the classic matchup in high school of the jock versus the preppie.

So what makes a Libertarian in my mind? I think for me it's a love of both liberty and life. In the post 9/11 era, we've seen more of our freedoms taken away in the name of counter-terrorism and too many Americans have given up those freedoms way too easily due to scare tactics by the Bush led Government. It seems all anyone has to do is mention "Osama, Al Queda, and Iraq" and 99 percent of the American public will promptly bend over and let George give his brand of freedom to them right in their ass. Thankfully, I'm in the 1% that is sick and tired of this treatment. I'm so sick of the FCC and the Religious right trying to tell me what's good and what's bad in the world. One tit during the superbowl changed the way radio and television will operate forever and that's just wrong. The FCC has their typical knee jerk reaction and began to fine everyone for every little thing. I've grown tired of the whole "freedom of speech just watch what you say" movement.

Here's a link to the Libertarian's website. Libertarian Party Website Give it a look if you'd like. I think you'll find that you agree with us more than you ever would have thought you would.

No comments: